One of the most popular topics surrounding the environment these days is plastic consumption and how it can affect our health.
In fact, plastic eating bacteria could help aid in our recycling efforts. How so?
Let’s look at the way plastic bottles get manufactured and the effect they have on the environment as a whole.
Plastic comes from polymers, which are in turn made up of various chemical compounds. One of these compounds is chlorine, which is used to make sure that water does not have any harmful chemicals in it. When a plastic bottle is created, it is mixed with a substance called Polypropylene (PP) to form a new bottle top. The chemical bonds with other chemicals, forming a liquid plastic. This is then molded into a shape and poured into a mold to form the bottle.
The problem comes from the way that this plastic is made and the amount of time it takes for the plastic to break down before it is safe enough to be thrown away. If there are harmful chemicals in the plastic, then the bottles can become breeding grounds for harmful bacteria. These bacteria are food for bugs, and can cause serious problems if the bottles are not properly disposed of.